This book provides evidence that ancient Indian texts (Purāṇas) state the date for Earth’s Greatest Mass Extinction, the age of the Solar System, and the age of the Universe within 0.3% of the modern scientific values.
This book not only refutes Stephen Hawking’s claim that God is unnecessary, but also reveals the flaws in extant theistic arguments, including Michael Behe’s “irreducible complexity.”
Paleontologists and Geologists will surely be impressed by the description of Mass Extinctions, the Neoproterozoic Snowball Earth, and the Cambrian Explosion in the ancient texts. In addition to this, the texts accurately predict the Sun’s future evolution into a Red Giant, and its ultimate explosion into planetary nebulae.
Heretic Science by Sidharth Chhabra and Devin O’Rourke will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
1. Chhabra, S. 2020. “Revisiting the Chronology Embodied in Purāṇic Myths” Midwest American Academy of Religion Conference.
2. Chhabra, S. 2020. “Revisiting Purāṇic Chronology” Under review at a reputed journal.
- Crush Atheism With Science
- A Primer on Purāṇic Time Units
- Earth’s Greatest Mass Extinction Recorded in the Purāṇas
- Einstein Saved the Vedas
Why Heretic Science?
A century ago, Alfred Wegener was publicly humiliated, called “delirious” and diagnosed as suffering from “moving crust disease and wandering pole plague.” His crime was that he proposed in The Origin of Continents and Oceans that continents drift over time. Although he was a lecturer in Meteorology and Astronomy at Marburg University, he made a bold foray into Geology. While perusing an atlas at a friend’s house in the year 1910, he recognized that the east coast of South America fits into the west coast of Africa like a jigsaw puzzle.
His lack of formal training in geology didn’t discourage him from pursuing this intuition. He compared the plants and animals on opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean and recognized incontrovertible similarity between them. He also compared geological formations on both coasts, and extended his analysis to other parts of the world. The evidence strongly supported his hypothesis that all the continents move slowly, but this hypothesis was pitted against the century-old geological paradigm of fixed oceans and continents. Wegener was criticized for his lack of training in geology, his German nationality, and his “manipulation” of evidence. In short, he was labeled a heretic. Undaunted by dogmatic critics, he used this as an opportunity to improve the rigor and clarity of his arguments, and he relentlessly advocated his case. Unfortunately, he didn’t live to see his work accepted. Decades later, when the old geologists had passed away, the younger ones found abundant support for Wegener’s radical idea. By the early 1970s, the geological community had changed its opinion and heartily accepted Wegener’s proposal. Wegener is a good example of a heretic who changed the course of science. What was heresy a century ago, is now accepted as a scientific fact.
We title our book, Heretic Science, following in the footsteps of the courageous heretics who revolutionized Science. We make the radical proposition that the ancient Sanskrit texts, known as the Purāṇas, provide a comprehensive description of the history of the Universe. We discovered that the Purāṇas contain stunningly accurate dates for the Big Bang, the formation of the Sun, and major mass extinctions.
If the evidence in this book convinces you that the Purāṇas are an accurate description of the history and future of the Universe, then we wish to draw your attention to the fact that the Purāṇas provide a comprehensive solution to the current social and environmental dilemmas. Although written thousands of years ago, the Purāṇas accurately portray the environmental and psychological maladies of our current day. The Purāṇic remedy is a sustainable lifestyle centered around the practice of meditation, as discussed in Chapter 9. We have personally benefited from this practical Purāṇic regimen and wish to share it with all progressive persons.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Overview of Our Discoveries
- Key Findings
- Why Did Scholars Miss the Boat?
- Plan of this Book
Chapter 2 Higher-Dimensional Space in Physics and the Purāṇas
- Paradigms involving higher-dimensional space now dominate modern physics because of their power to unify the ostensibly disparate forces of nature.
- A proper understanding of higher-dimensional space counteracts the pervasive tendency to dismiss the Purāṇas as mythology.
- Correlation between events transpiring on Bhū-maṇḍala and events transpiring on the Earth of our common sensory experience is expected, but not exact identity in these events.
- The Earth of our common sensory experience is a four-dimensional projection of the inherently higher-dimensional Purāṇic realm of Bhū-maṇḍala.
Chapter 3 Purāṇic Chronology
- Elaborate discussion of Purāṇic time units on Bhū-maṇḍala.
- Discovery of a hitherto unrecognized Purāṇic time unit, the Pratisaṃdhi, which is crucial for revealing the congruence between Purāṇic and modern chronology.
Chapter 4 Earth’s Greatest Mass Extinction
- The Purāṇic date (251.2 million years ago) for Earth’s greatest mass extinction is within 0.3% of the latest scientific date for the end-Permian Mass Extinction (251.9 million years ago).
- Purāṇic descriptions of the kill mechanisms of the Mass Extinction are similar to modern scientific descriptions of these mechanisms.
- The time required for biotic recovery recorded in the Purāṇas is similar to that of modern science.
- Since the scientific method is necessarily dependent on the limited capabilities of the experimenter, the Purāṇas are the only truly independent source of knowledge currently known to mankind to verify scientific results.
Chapter 5 The Formation and Disintegration of the Solar System
- Purāṇic age of the Solar System is within 0.11% of the modern scientific value.
- Purāṇic description of the future evolution of the Solar System is similar to that of modern astrophysics.
- The author of the Purāṇas may have been aware of the fact that the mechanism of Solar energy generation is based on hydrogen.
Chapter 6 The Universe
- Purāṇic age of the Universe is within 0.13% of the modern scientific value.
- Purāṇas state the age of the previous Universe and the date for the demise of the current Universe.
Chapter 7 The Manvantara Cycle
- Correlation between Manvantara transitions and major geological and paleontological events in Earth history.
- The Purāṇas state that life began on Earth 3.946 billion years ago, which is in the middle of the range of the latest paleontological estimates for the beginning of life on Earth.
Chapter 8 Battles and Sacrifices
- Purāṇic date range for Śrī Rāma’s massacre of the Rākṣasas corresponds to the end-Eocene Mass Extinction.
- Flaws in Pargiter’s attempts to disparage the Purāṇas.
- Purāṇic date range for Śrī Vāmanadeva’s dethroning of Bali corresponds to the Toarcian Mass Extinction.
- Correspondence between Śrī Varāha’s lifting Bhū-maṇḍala out of the Garbhodaka ocean and the end of the Neoproterozoic Snowball Earth.
- Correspondence between Śrī Narasiṁha’s killing of Hiraṇyakaśipu and the beginning of the Cambrian Explosion.
- Śrī Kūrma’s mining the Kṣīrodaka ocean to produce resources corresponds to the rise of oxygen levels in the Cambrian oceans.
Chapter 9 Are The Purāṇas Fantasy?
- Purāṇic statements that can guide fruitful scientific research in a number of fields.
- Elimination of the hypotheses of deliberate fraud, prehistoric inheritance and lucky guessing as explanations for the ancient sages’ knowledge.
- Communication by Superhuman Beings is the best explanation for the ancient knowledge.
- The Purāṇas are a window into the higher-dimensional world all around us.
- The laws of nature and their ultimate controller.
- Purāṇic remedy for the environmental crisis.
- Lessons from a prostitute on self-realization.
- Essential practices for self-realization from the Bhāgavata Purāṇa.
- D.1 Intelligent Design
- D.2 The Origin of Altruism
- D.3 Oskar Schindler – the Selfless Philanthropist?
- D.4 Cosmological fine-tuning
- E.1 Purāṇic Gods or Advanced Extraterrestrials?
- E.2 Did Superhuman Sages Concoct the Purāṇic Gods?
F.1 Purāṇic Sheaths
F.2 The First Sheath
F.3 The Second Sheath
F.4 The Third, Fourth and Fifth Sheaths
F.5 The Nearest Solar System
It is hard to find an author who is expert in widely separated branches of science, but Chhabra and O’Rourke have dexterously sewn together state-of-the-art discoveries in five fields: cosmology, astrophysics, geology, paleontology, and embryology. It was a treat to read such a well-done, interdisciplinary work. The evidence for Superhuman communication appears persuasive, and raises important questions about our understanding of human history. This book is sure to attract a lot of interest in ancient Indian texts.Professor S. Ghosh, Chairman and Professor of Microbiology & Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Columbia University
The authors deploy an impressive array of facts to substantiate their claims. If their analysis is correct, it compels educated persons to reconsider their opinion regarding the existence of Superhuman Beings. The significance of this result can’t be overstated. Unlike New Age thrillers, this book is short on sensationalism and long on facts.Professor G. Thakur, Interim Chair of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Northeastern University
An elegant and systematic revelation of an astonishing concord between modern scientific theories of the west and age-old presentations of sages of the east! This compelling and easy to follow presentation is sure to keep the reader on edge. The authors conclude with a powerful prescription for the seeker.Professor R. Kathuria, James L and Lynne P Doti of Operations Management, Argyros School of Business & Economics, Chapman University; Lecturer, University of California, Irvine
First off, congratulations on your ground breaking study of the Puranas. This is extraordinary work. You have synthesized challenging material from at least four different fields into a thought provoking and compelling vindication of the Puranic cosmo-chronological order. I am thoroughly impressed by your extensive research and hope your work achieves the widespread acknowledgement and recognition it deserves.A. Saha, Curator, Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
I doubt anyone can find loopholes in their arguments. The authors make a water-tight case for Superhuman intervention.Professor M. Firouz, Collat School of Business, University of Alabama
Paleontology, cosmology, embryology, astrophysics and Sanskrit — They got it all in a single book! A real eye opener!Dr S. S. Ray, Ohio State University
Radical convergence between state-of-the art science and ancient texts.Dr. M. Choudhary, Harvard University
The ancient yogis were right on the mark about the Big-Bang, formation of the Sun, mass extinctions, and much more.Dr. V. Viswanathan, Stanford University
Universal facts from the ancient Vedic texts (the Puranas), shared in this book, are the ultimate goal post for modern scientific and technological advancements in the areas such as astronomy, satellites, and telescopes. This book illustrates how the Puranas provide both a microscopic and telescopic view of the physical world from which modern science can learn and benefit. This book should serve as a handbook for every astrophysical researcher.Professor R. Buyya, Redmond Barry Distinguished Professor, Director of Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems, University of Melbourne
The authors bury skeptics under an avalanche of well-researched facts. A real tour-de-force of scientific expertise.Professor of Neurology K. Pahan, the Floyd A. Davis Endowed Chair in Neurology, Rush University
I find it fascinating! If these findings are correct, you will attract a lot of interest in your book.Professor P. Tressoldi, Department of General Psychology, University of Padova
I never would have been able to uncover such a remarkable congruence because it requires a tremendous amount of knowledge in various scientific fields, as well as high proficiency in Sanskrit. I am impressed and indebted to the authors for sharing these results. These stunning new findings deserve serious attention from all unbiased researchers.Dr. K. Bankala, University of Michigan
He has a Masters Degree from the University of Michigan in Information Science. He has contributed to conferences at MIT, the University of Washington, IIIT Hyderabad, the University of Paris, the University of Dublin and other Universities. He also won Best Paper award at the prestigious anti-abuse and spam conference, CEAS 2011. After graduation, he became interested in the Sanskrit Purāṇas. He has studied Sanskrit from an early age, which allows him to read the Purāṇas in the original Sanskrit. That, combined with Sanskrit Natural Language Processing tools, enabled him to discover that the Purāṇas anticipate sophisticated scientific data in a wide range of fields.
He has a Bachelors in Political Science from North Carolina State University, and is a consultant and coach for a successful media company, TRUIC LLC. He is an excellent writer, who helped Sidharth Chhabra compile the findings in a book.
The CC licence permits you to retain, reuse, copy, redistribute, and revise this book—in whole or in part—for free providing the author is attributed as follows: Heretic Science by Sidharth Chhabra and Devin O’Rourke is used under a CC BY 4.0 Licence. You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.